Re: [archives-and-linked-data] Schema.org Archive/ArchiveComponent extensions in ArchiveGrid

This is indeed awesome Bruce!

Thanks Mark for forwarding to the relevant lists, and again Bruce for
adding to the pull request
<https://github.com/schemaorg/schemaorg/pull/1784#issuecomment-460083032>
comments
on the Schema.org Github.

This will hopefully help push the PR over the edge into the next Schema.org
release, especially with Mark viewing it from the standpoint of potential
data consumption.

Hopefully sometime soon after that merge, Google's testing tool will stop
throwing errors for these terms.

As to the questions raised...

'offeredBy <https://schema.org/offeredBy>', 'provider
<https://schema.org/provider>' & 'holdingArchive' on the surface are
similar, but in detail have significant differences.

   - offeredBy <https://schema.org/offeredBy>
*A pointer to the organization or person making the offer *This Schema
   property is used on the Offer <https://schema.org/Offer> type, which
   describes the an offer to make some Thing available: "*An offer to
   transfer some rights to an item or to provide a service — for example, an
   offer to sell tickets to an event, to rent the DVD of a movie, to stream a
   TV show over the internet, to repair a motorcycle, or to loan a book*."
   It therefore would not be expected to be used as a property for a
   CreativeWork, Collection, etc., but as used by Bruce to relate a thing to
   the organization making it available.

   - provider <https://schema.org/provider> *The service provider, service
   operator, or service performer; the goods producer. Another party (a
   seller) may offer those services or goods on behalf of the provider. A
   provider may also serve as the seller.*
   Despite the Schema leaning towards commercial relationships in its
   descriptions, the provider of a thing is considered to be the producer
   (originator?) of a thing.  As indicated, this does not prevent the provider
   being also being referenced, via offeredBy in an *Offer* (and in our
   case the *holdingArchive* of an *ArchiveComponent)*.

   - *holdingArchive - *
*Archive that holds, keeps or maintains the ArchiveComponent *The specific
   relationship between a Thing (defined as an *ArchiveComponent*) and the
   *Archive* (*Institution with archival holdings. An Archive, or Archives,
   is an organization which keeps and preserves archival material and
   potentially makes it accessible to the public.*) that holds it.

In the examples from ArchiveGrid Bruce has, I believe validly, added a
parallel relationship to that supplied via *Offer*/*offeredBy*, utilising
*holdingArchive*, between the item and the *Archive*.

I would comment that the *Offer* description could benefit from a few extra
properties identifying the parameters of the offer such as
*businessFunction* (Loan - *http://purl.org/goodrelations/v1#LeaseOut
<http://purl.org/goodrelations/v1#LeaseOut>* - practice defined with the
library community), *areaServed*, *availableAtOrFrom*, price (0 - free),
etc.

~Richard.

Richard Wallis
Founder, Data Liberate