From: Richard Wallis <richard.wallis@dataliberate.com>
Sent: 02 April 2019 17:33
To: public-architypes <public-architypes@w3.org>
Subject: Archive proposals to enhance Schema.org accepted and published

Hi all,

I am pleased to announce that the latest release of the Schema..org vocabulary (3.5) was launched today. It includes our proposals for archive specific terms. There were a few minor alterations as part of the process but in essence it is our proposal.

Specifically:

  *   ArchiveOrganization<https://schema.org/ArchiveOrganization> - A new type that identifies 'An organization with archival holdings'
  *   ArchiveComponent<https://schema.org.org/ArchiveComponent> - A new type that can be applied to any archive content, collection or item.
  *   archiveHeld<https://schema.org/archiveHeld> - A property for ArchiveOrganization. Collection fonds or item held, kept, or maintained by an ArchiveOrganization Inverse of holdingArchive.
  *   holdingArchive<https://schema.org/holdingArchive> - A property for ArchiveComponent. ArchiveOrganization that holds keeps or maintains the ArchiveComponent.  Inverse of archiveHeld.
In a separate proposal relevant to our group two more properties have been added to the vocabulary:

  *   collectionSize<https://schema.org/collectionSize> - Added to the Collection<https://schema.org/Collection> type  to indicate the number of items in the collection.
  *   materialExtent<https://schema.org/materialExtent> - Added to the CreativeWork<https://schema.org/CreativeWork> type (and therefore its subtypes). 'The quantity of the materials being described or an expression of the physical space they occupy.'  This can be defined as either a simple string or a detailed quantified value and measurement type using the QuantitativeValue<https://schema.org/QuantitativeValue> type.
Also some new CreativeWorks subtypes suggested by the bibliographic folks may come in handy when describing things in archives: Manuscript<https://schema.org/Manuscript>, Poster<https://schema.org/Poster>, Drawing<https://schema.org/Drawing>, SheetMusic<https://schema.org/SheetMusic>, ShortStory<https://schema.org/ShortStory>, and Play<https://webschemas.org/Play>.

All these, new in version 3.5, terms are held in the 'pending' section of the vocabulary.  This is normal practice and over time they will move out of that section.  Being in pending does not mean that a term should not be used.  In practice, the more a term is used, the sooner it will move out of pending.

For more information on version 3.5, checkout the release notes: https://schema.org/docs/releases.html#v3.5

~Richard

Richard Wallis
Founder, Data Liberate
http://dataliberate.com

Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/richardwallis

Twitter: @rjw

This email originates from the Internet and has been analysed for malware by Forcepoint Email Security Cloud.

If this email claims to come from a TNA colleague or department it should be treated with suspicion.

Use the PhishMe button to report any suspicious emails.

Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- National Archives Disclaimer This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete the email. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message and attachments that do not relate to the official business of The National Archives are neither given nor endorsed by it. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------