Re: [AR Standards Discussion] The Augmented Web

Sorry, forgot to add public-ar@w3.org ...
---

Hi Rob!

*waves and smiles back to Rob&  theAWEsomeWEB team* :-)

It's actually interesting to see that both you and us have worked on
very similar ideas over the past few months, and I'm curious how many
other institutions are working on AR @ the web at the same time
currently. Guess it must be a couple. With the recent development of the
web browsers allowing sensor access, it's pretty obvious that the entire
AR space should move in that direction, just because it opens up AR for
way more developers and users. Users don't have to search for AR
specifically, it will be brought to them through web browsers.

Rob's and Wikitude's initiative shows that it's actually already
possible - not just in mockups, but in real world environments with code
that runs on real phones (so far for the "AR videos only exist because
they are mocked" ;-) ), that AR runs in web browsers. The next step is
to have the necessary APIs available in all web browsers - currently
they only work in a couple of them.

Probably the next AR Standards Community Meeting in Geneva (Christine
knows all the details ;-) ) should include a dedicated focussed section
on AR and the web. Rob, will you be joining the group in Geneva in July?

Best,
Martin

> Am 17.05.2012 19:32, schrieb Rob Manson:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm glad to see our launch of theAWEsomeWEB.com [1] at ARE2012 has
>> created some frantic me-too activity.
>>
>> *waves and smiles to Martin&  the wikitude team* 8)
>>
>> So if you've been wondering why I've been so quiet over the last few
>> months it's because we've been working hard to develop all the ideas
>> I've been presenting about the Augmented Web since 2009 [2] into some
>> real working technology.
>>
>> We're just about to release our Open Source javascript toolkit called
>> awe.js [3] that is the jQuery for the Augmented Web and I think you'll
>> really like how easy it makes it to create this whole new breed of web
>> apps.
>>
>> I think all of the discussions we've been having in the standards groups
>> so far are really important but I also think it's time to crystalise a
>> lot of these discussion into some code that really works and some
>> example apps that show just what's really possible right now.
>>
>> So it's obviously the right time for this Augmented Web discussion to
>> really start in earnest and if you're not across where it's up to then I
>> think you'll find that the sands are shifting under your feet!
>>
>> It's time to peel back the old web and uncover the new world beneath.
>>
>> Welcome to http://theAWEsomeWEB.com 8)
>>
>> roBman
>>
>> [1] http://theAWEsomeWEB.com
>> [2]