Re: IE Team's Proposal for Cross Site Requests

From: Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 14:51:52 +0100
To: Sunava Dutta <sunavad@windows.microsoft.com>
CC: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Eric Lawrence <ericlaw@exchange.microsoft.com>, "Web API WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>, "public-appformats@w3.org" <public-appformats@w3.org>, Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>, Zhenbin Xu <zhenbinx@windows.microsoft.com>, Gideon Cohn <gidco@windows.microsoft.com>, Sharath Udupa <Sharath.Udupa@microsoft.com>, Doug Stamper <dstamper@exchange.microsoft.com>, Marc Silbey <marcsil@windows.microsoft.com>
Laurens Holst schreef:
> Or, if you really do not want to increase the attack surface, you
> should always send the content type application/x-www-form-urlencoded,
> and only allow request entities constructed through an API. Because
> servers only expect x-www-form-urlencoded and not text/plain, and
> servers might have parsing issues if the POST body is malformed, both
> leading to changes from what is currently possible with HTML and thus,
> security risks.

Sorry, apparantly this is a misconception of mine, using
encoding="text/plain" you can apparantly already send arbitrary
requests. So ignore this paragraph please :). The rest does still apply.

By the way, I do not see how requiring servers to ignore the request
entity content type and forcing them to do content sniffing makes things
more secure, instead of less.

~Grauw