Re: Widgets 1.0 - widget settings: publishing / modifications

From: Marcos Caceres <marcosscaceres@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 21:27:04 +1000
To: "Sergey Ilinsky" <castonet@yahoo.co.uk>
Cc: public-appformats@w3.org

Hi Sergey,

> It's clear. As long as settings are not considered as part of a widget there
> is of course no need in <setting name="" default="" type=""/> element or
> event-based change notification mechanism (that makes sense only in case
> whose settings could be modified from the Widget runtime UI).

great.

> But then you would not need the already added to the specification
> "preferenceForKey / setPreferenceForKey" API. You could rather use storage
> object defined in HTML5.

Yep, but we are deliberately trying not to put dependencies on HTML5
(it's too volatile and it won't be at Last Call for a number of years
yet - we want the widget spec to be at Last Call this year). I think
we are going to recommend HTML 4.01 as the UI language (yes, we know,
HTML4.01 spec has massive issues/holes, but I think it's the best we
have right now).

> However i still think there is a need for the mentioned additions. Whose
> would cover dashboard-like Widget runtime requirements (most of such
> runtimes make use of them), while leaving widget developer an opportunity to
> implement the settings management customly.

I'm currently researching if events are thrown if preferences are
changed in various widget engines. I was not aware that Dashboard has
this functionality. Aside from Yahoo! Widgets, which other engines
throw events when preferences are changed? If we find that there is a
few that do it, then by all means we will put the event in the spec
(I've tentatively put the IDL from my previous email in the Widgets
1.0: API's Editor's Draft [1]). It would be a massive help if you
could list the widget engines so I can verify everything quickly.

FWIW, our focus is explicitly dashboard-like Widget runtime. Not sure
if you have seen these, but we have a fairly stable list of
requirements published [2].

Kind regards,
Marcos
[1] http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets-api/