Re: IE Team's Proposal for Cross Site Requests

Sunava Dutta schreef:
> *Properties*
>
> ·         *responseText - *After the server responds, you can retrieve
> the data string through the read-only /responseText /property.

When no character encoding is specified in the HTTP response headers,
how can the user parse XML in the proper encoding (as specified in the
<?xml encoding="…"?> processing instruction in the XML)? This is
currently also an issue with responseText in XHR, and an important
reason to use responseXML to retrieve XML content, since that takes the
encoding specified in the document into account.

It seems that as you define it right now, XML can only be read if it is
UTF-8. Although I would personally discourage using any other encoding
than UTF-8 :), there are many sites that do and these should be
supported through the mechanism that XML provides.

Additionally, when no character encoding is specified in the HTTP
response headers, in what encoding will the content be parsed? I believe
standards dictate that application/xml, text/xml and application/*+xml
should be processed as UTF-8 by default, and text/html as ISO 8859-1? I
hope IE’s implementation will deal with this properly, and that we won’t
end up with XML data parsed as ISO 8859-1 when reading it through
responseText.

~Grauw