Re: IE Team's Proposal for Cross Site Requests

On Mar 15, 2008, at 01:59, Eric Lawrence wrote:

> XDR is intended for "public" data.  We explicitly suggest that
> Intranet servers do not expose private data through this mechanism.
> In order to ensure that no existing servers/services (in any zone)
> are put at risk, XDR does not send credentials of any sort, and
> requires that the server acknowledge the cross-domain nature of the
> request via the response header.

In practice, though, cross-site requests for user-specific data are so
interesting that people will do it anyway. The user will have to trust
the third-party site with credentials or a token which will be encoded
in the URI or in the POST payload. The inability to pass credentials/
token in the HTTP headers will not stop communicating that data--it'll
only be communicated in an inconvenient way.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi