Re: [AC] URI canonicalization problem with Access-Control-Policy-Path

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> The feature avoids the overhead you get when you need to issue 10 POST
>> requests to 10 distinct URIs on the same server scoped to some path.
>> Without Acess-Control-Policy-Path that requires 20 requests. With
>> Access-Control-Policy-Path it requires 12. So for the N requests you want
>> to make it roughly safes you of N additional requests for larger values of
>> N.
>
> Consider you have a simple echo protocol, a client sends a line to the
> server and the server returns the same line to the client; then they
> repeat until m bytes have been transferred. What does it matter how many
> lines these m bytes have been split into? It does not, and it does not
> matter much with HTTP either if you have persistent connections, it's
> just a bit more complicated to find the end of a message.
>
> So let's look at the traffic instead. The minimal OPTIONS request and
> response look somewhat like this:
>
>       +---------------------------+      +---------------------------+
>       | OPTIONS /example HTTP/1.1 |      | HTTP/1.1 200              |
>       | Host:example.org          | ===> | Access-Control:allow <*>  |
>       | Origin:example.net        | <=== | Content-Length:0          |
>       |                           |      |                           |
>       +---------------------------+      +---------------------------+
>                               --- 128 byte ---
>
> So let's assume the average OPTIONS request generates three times as
> much (you may want to include a Data or User-Agent header, for example).
> The POST requests and responses are quite a bit longer, you would send
> various Accept headers, Content-Type, Set-Cookie, whatever, so let's
> assume an average of 7*128 bytes protocol overhead per transaction:
>
>   80% ++-----------+-----------+------------+-----------+---··········
>       +            +           +            +OPTIONS exchange xxxxxx +
>   70% oo                            ········Protocol Overhead oooooo++
>   60% ++oo                   ·······           Message Bodies ······++
>       |   oo            ·····                                        |
>   50% ++    ooo     ····                                            ++
>   40% ++       oooo·                                                ++
>       |       ···  ooooo                                             |
>   30% xx    ···         ooooooo                                     ++
>       | xxxxx                  oooooooooooo                          |
>   20% ++ ·· xxxxxxxxxx                     ooooooooooooooooooooo    ++
>   10% ++··            xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                    ooooooo
>       +·           +           +           xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>    0% ·+-----------+-----------+------------+-----------+-----------++
>       0           1000        2000         3000        4000         5000
>       Average size of message bodies in bytes (request plus response).
>
> If your average request and response body are together less than about
> [...]

I agree that from a load point of view optimizing away the OPTIONS
requests if you have a large set or POSTs makes less sense than
optimizing to fewer POSTs.

The reason that was brought up was people that wanted to support a
proper REST API for a forum which apparently resulted in lots of POSTs
(or possibly other methods) to lots of different URIs.

And since we have a caching mechanism when doing multiple POSTs to the
same URI there was concern that that would either discourage proper REST
which required POSTs to multiple URIs, or there was concern that it
would be a bad hit for the people that did use proper REST. Or both.

However, I would be perfectly happy with not addressing this use case
for now. As you bring up, this is just the first version of the spec.
Though I'm also ok with keeping it in with the "..\" amendment.

/ Jonas