RE: [waf] Draft of merged Web Apps WG charter available

Hi Art, all

(bcc'ing w3c-ac-forum)

Thanks for the very detailed response.  I understand that the W3C Team
has had reviews, but the Advisory Committee hasn't had a chance to
review the scope of the access control work.  I am not disappointed that
the WAF group is working on the AC-spec.  I'm disappointed: 1) that it
has progressed so far with little Advisory Committee review, 2) there
has been little work done on requirements and usage scenarios.  If I as
an AC rep had had a chance to review the charter of the work, I would
have said I'd like to see the scope of the work up front, which ought to
have included some of the tricky requirements that are still being
discussed.  We're now in a situtation where some people feel the Access
Control doc is ready to go to Last Call, but others have disagreed with
the fundamental requirements since their very first review.  The Team
never wrote up and published any requirements or a deliverable change
for the group, so their review and issues are opaque to me.  In my mind,
this is a significant part of why we have the W3C Process, to ensure
transparency and predictability in our process.  The current WAF charter
is water under the bridge as it has expired - though I observe that at
least one notable member of the WAF group hasn't bought into delivering
a reqs/usage scenarios - so it was the Web apps WG charter that my
review addressed.

I see the need to back up my claim that I see considerable evidence that
the specification has "flown low on the radar".  I didn't and don't make
the claim it has intentionally done so.  For backup, what I can point to
are a lack of pointers, rather than pointers.  Some of what I consider
missing pointers are:
1) the WAF home page [1] does not mention or link to the the work item
in the left hand deliverables pane, though the WD is linked from the
right hand side
2) the WAF charter page [2] does not mention the work item
3) the AC forum does not contain an announcement of the charter change
4) The Team reports on Rich Web Client Activity from the 2006 AC
meetings do not mention it.  I would have expected this to appear, even
just a simple line item saying "we added Access Control to WAF charter",
in the Nov 2006 meeting if not the May 2006.  It is mentioned in the May
and Nov 2007 team reports, but the Interaction slides from both meetings
aren't available online so I can't see if it was mentioned during the
presentation.  Even if it was mentioned, the Nov 2007 meeting was done a
little differently than before and some items could easily have been
missed.

Going forward, I think we agree that it's important that requirements
and usage scenarios are at least started and published early in the
life-cycle of the work.  I'm agin the out-dated waterfall approach, and
iterative development is preferable.  That should be done for each
deliverable in any chartered work, and any proposed additions to work
should be formally run by the AC.  I agree that one spec per WG can be
unmanageable, and I don't suggest that for Web applications.  I would
expect something like 2-4 WGs and maybe XGs to be preferable.

Cheers,
Dave

[1] http://www.w3.org/2006/appformats/
[2] http://www.w3.org/2006/appformats/admin/charter.html