Re: Examining the 'no server modification' requirement

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008, Brad Porter wrote:

> I wonder to some extent if this entire debate could be addressed by
> including functionality in the access-control specification that would
> allow the server to also perform the validation if it choose?  A
> solution where both the browser and the server are enforcing the policy
> may ultimately be the strongest.  This would enable webmasters to feel
> like they have some control, but also prevent the browser vendors for
> being blamed when webservers accidentally expose all their data by
> improperly implementing the server-side gate.

There already is a server-side gate. The server ultimately controls what
headers and PIs are sent back on a per-response basis; you can treat the
current specification as a purely server-side model that just happens to
have a syntactically complicated handshake.

I agree with all your other comments regarding the need for the option of
providing a static declaration of policy.