Re: Rule breaking on the Web

On 2/21/08, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
> The "people should be smarter" fix is a very tempting one, but generally
>  doesn't work. It's hard to make people smarter.

That's not what I'm saying.  If you're authoring for the Web, or
setting up a Web server, you're already pretty smart, and you're
already playing nicely by a number of rules whether you know it or
not.  I'm just saying that there are other rules that should also be
followed, and we as implementers all have a responsibility to ensure
we do our best to help our users respect them.  I'm also saying that
if we don't, we make our own jobs more difficult because many of these
rules are designed to help the Web evolve gracefully over time.

Mark.