Re: To cookie or not to cookie

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> [with cookies] One concern we found was that it makes it very easy for a
> site to accidentally grant access to a users personal data without
> realizing this is done without the users consent. I.e. the worry is that
> server administrators will think that just because a request includes a
> users cookies, that the user has authorized the request. To use the
> examples above: [...]
>
> [without cookies] This both exposes the user to a greater risk since the
> requesting site is actually given the credential, and also risks
> creating a culture where people give out their passwords to other sites.
>
> [prompting user]

Prompting the user here should be right out, IMHO. Users would not be able
to make informed decisions.

In my opinion, the problem described as [without cookies] above is many
orders of magnitude worse than the theoretical problem described under
[with cookies]. In addition, the risk given above under [with cookies] is
present even without cookies, it just migrates to whatever other
authentication mechanism is used.

I think ironically that not sending cookies is therefore by far the least
secure option we are faced with here.