Re: CSR and Mozilla - Clarifying HTTP Header Filtering

On 2/20/08, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 07:07:33 +0100, Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org> wrote:
> > On 2/19/08, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> wrote:
> >> The issue is that cross-site requests that are possible today for GET do
> >> not involve arbitrary headers made up by the author. Therefore servers
> >> could be vulnerable to cross-site GET requests that do have arbitrary
> >> headers set. This is a new attack vector and has nothing to do with the
> >> same-origin blacklist.
> >
> > Hmm, I'm really not getting this...
> >
> > Can you describe one of these possible vulnerabilities for me please?
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-appformats/2008Feb/0191.html

Google uses a header like that for GData, but it's only meaningful
with POST requests, not GET requests;

  http://code.google.com/apis/gdata/basics.html

Your premise seems to be that in the future, the community might rally
around and widely deploy, brain-dead extensions which attempt to
violate the fundamental semantics of HTTP, in this case the safety of
GET messages.  IMO, that's not a realistic concern.

Mark.