Re: Simplifying the AC spec

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> I propose that we remove both the Method-Check header, and the list of
> methods from the Access-Control header.

I support this.

> Thomas Roessler pointed out that 1 is better solved by simply stopping
> all requests that included a Referer-Root header. This could be done on
> a server level and would also stop any cached OPTIONS requests from
> making unsafe actions reach a CGI script. [Thus I propose dropping the
> deny rules.]

I support that too.

> I like this idea a lot. The only problem is that I'm worried that the
> Referer-Root header might get picked up by other specs due to its
> usefulness and generic name. However if we specified that Referer-Root
> should only ever be included in cross-site request, then that should
> mitigate that problem. In fact, i've wanted to add a header for
> cross-site image and script loads to allow the server to reject these
> more easily. (That would of course not be part of this spec).

I agree this this is a problem. I think if we remove the "deny" rule and
say that Referer-Root is the way to detect third-party access, we should
rename the header to be absolutely clear as to what is going on.

I recommend the name Access-Control-Origin.

At this point it would make sense to rename the Method-Check-* headers
too. I recommend changing the "Method-Check-" part to "Access-Control-",
so that the headers are:

   On requests from a client:
                  Access-Control-Origin

   On responses to OPTIONS when the policy is elsewhere:
                  Access-Control-Policy-Path

   On all other responses:
                  Access-Control
                  Access-Control-Max-Age