RE: Accountability in AC4CSR

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 01:11:31 +0100, Close, Tyler J.
> <tyler.close@hp.com>
> wrote:
> > Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> >> What is recommended for this for cross-site GET and POST today?
> >
> > Today, browsers and sites cooperate to prevent cross-domain
> requests.
>
> Actually, no, that is not true. Today you can issue cross-site GET and
> POST requests which is why I asked the question.

A browser may issue a cross-site request, but some servers are setup to recognize these requests and reject them; those servers that don't may be vulnerable to Cross Site Request Forgery (XSRF) attacks. The role of the server in rejecting these requests is what I was referring to when I said: "browsers and sites cooperate to prevent cross-domain requests". There is server-side cooperation in the prevention.

A key point in this issue is that today, browsers and servers cooperate to *prevent* these requests; whereas this WG wants them to cooperate on *accepting* requests. There are no accountability issues in a rejected request, since the request isn't processed. There may be accountability issues when requests are accepted. It seems the WG hasn't considered these issues.

--Tyler