Re: XBL2 underspecified

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 19:15:30 +0000 (UTC)
To: "Gregory J. Rosmaita" <oedipus@hicom.net>
Cc: public-appformats@w3.org

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007, Gregory J. Rosmaita wrote:

> mea culpa -- i didn't mean the XBL specification itself, i was referring
> to the XBL 2.0 Primer, but apparently i can't speak, minute, listen to
> my screen reader, listen to the telecon and chew gum simultaneously --
> next time, i'll forgo the gum...

Hehe.

I'm curious what you mean by the primer being "underspecified" -- surely
it's not specified at all? I mean, it's just a primer, a tutorial, it's
not a specification or anything.

I agree it's not complete yet, but that doesn't seem to affect the XBL
technology itself from a technical perspective. Few W3C specs ever have
any official primer written for them.

I guess I'm just confused as to what the context of the discussion was in
the minutes I cited.

> i hope this clarifies my own mis-minuted comments -- i will re-review
> the XBL2 draft itself with an ear towards identifying any possible holes
> in the draft

Great, thanks!

> which -- in my opinion, at least -- is quite well specified, save for
> those isolated spots where the draft acknowledges that further and/or
> more suitable text is needed and will be added when it becomes
> available, such as the disclaimer in section 8.2.2. -- the only minor
> suggestion i have is that it would be helpful to indicate if the draft
> is waiting for a description/definition from another forum/working
> group, or whether the details are being worked on within the
> public-appsformat forum...

It's waiting on me, mostly. The description of the security model is one
of the things I'm writing as part of the HTML5 effort.

Cheers,