Re: Long File Names and Widgets

"the specification should say what is required
for interoperability of implementations, recommend what authors should
limit their content to, and point out possible problems"

Jon

             Bjoern Hoehrmann
             <derhoermi@gmx.ne
             t>                                                         To
             Sent by:                  "Marcos Caceres"
             public-appformats         <marcosscaceres@gmail.com>
             -request@w3.org                                            cc
                                       "public-appformats@w3.org"
                                       <public-appformats@w3.org>
             11/23/2007 05:12                                      Subject
             AM                        Re: Long File Names and Widgets

* Marcos Caceres wrote:
>Exactly.  However, this is not current practice with a least yahoo!
widgets
>and Windows Vista Sidebar... both decompress widgets straight to the hard
>drive. Still need to do more testing to see what others do. I'll draft
some
>warning text as you suggested. If you have any further comments on the
text
>I sent yesterday regarding ASCII paths [1] I would really like to hear
them.

I think the whole "Zip Archive Structure" is excessively overspecified.
As far as I am concerned, the specification should say what is required
for interoperability of implementations, recommend what authors should
limit their content to, and point out possible problems. Going beyond
that easily results in people ignoring much of the text and worse fail
to think of additional issues they have to address, and might even en-
courage implementers to think it's safe to extract the archive to disk
if they do all the specification mandates, which might not be the case.