Re: More comments on access-control

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 16:57:17 -0800
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, "WAF WG (public)" <public-appformats@w3.org>

>>> Why is the "*." bit redundant in the domain part? How do I make sure
>>> something matches "livejournal.com" but not
>>> "ianhickson.livejournal.com"?
>>   allow <livejournal.com> exclude <ianhickson.livejournal.com>
>>
>> or more generic
>>
>>   allow <livejournal.com> exclude <*.livejournal.com>
>
> Hm. Ok. I'm pretty sure this is confusing enough that it'll be the source
> of security holes in future, though.
>
> Does
>
>    allow <*.livejournal.com> exclude <livejournal.com>
>
> ...exclude everything in livejournal.com? (It seems that it does.)

This would basically be a no-op.

The problem here is that there are potential for security problems no
matter how we do it. If we said that <livejournal.com> didn't include
subdomains many people would likely get bitten by:

deny <livejournal.com>

And then getting bitten by people linking to them from
www.livejournal.com or www2.livejournal.com

/ Jonas