Re: Design issues for access-control

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 03:25:39 -0500, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
> I have heard arguments that the site might not want to broadcast who it
> is authorizing. However this could effectively be figured out still by
> simply brute-force testing all interesting servers and methods directly
> from an evil server to the target server. No browser involved, simply
> send HTTP requests containing Referer-Root and Method-Check headers.

This wouldn't work if you had to authorize (either through cookies or HTTP
authentication) before getting to the actual document.

> Another thing that occurred to me is does HTTP caches take the full set
> of request headers into account when caching? Otherwise it could be
> directly harmful to include Referer-Root and Method-Check headers. The
> cache might store an "authorize" reply when the request is made for
> Referer-Root A and wrongly respond with the same document is checked for
> Referer-Root B.

The authentication request cache is a seperate thing that uses the
Referer-Root and request URI as "primary key". Or do you mean something
else?

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>