[widgets-reqs] re: Accessibility requirement of UIDL (comment 29) (was: Comments on http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-widgets-reqs-20070209)

From: Marcos Caceres <m.caceres@qut.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 14:58:36 +1000
To: bert@w3.org, "WAF WG (public)" <public-appformats@w3.org>

This is a response to Bert Bos' review [1] of the Widgets 1.0
Requirements document [2].

> COMMENT 29) Accessibility is mentioned as a design goal, but not as a
> requirement. I think it is possible to require that widgets are
> accessible at various levels, e.g., keyboard access to graphical
> elements, screen reader access, and non-graphical UIs. (None of the
> proprietary widget systems mention by the WD currently separate the GUI
> from the functions, but I once wrote a system that did just that, so I
> believe it is possible. See my essays[1,2] for some ideas.)

I've added a new section and requirement:

3.4 Widget User Interface Language

R29. Language Accessibility

The language used to declare the user interface of a widget should be
accessible at various levels: it should provide keyboard access to
interactive graphical elements, and provide means to access the
widget's functionality through an non-graphical UI. The declared
interface may also be accessible to screen readers, allowing relevant
sections of text and functionality to be accessed by non-visual means.

Also, your essays have been very informative and helpful from the
beginning of the requirements gathering process. Honestly, they are
the reason I asked Art to contact you to perform this review.

--
Marcos Caceres
http://datadriven.com.au

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-appformats/2007Feb/0131.html