[widgets-reqs] re: encryption (Comment 4) (was: Comments on http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-widgets-reqs-20070209)

From: Marcos Caceres <m.caceres@qut.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 14:55:49 +1000
To: bert@w3.org, "WAF WG (public)" <public-appformats@w3.org>

> COMMENT 4) Ad "Please let us know if there any good use cases for
> encryption":
>
> A widget is a piece of information, just like an e-mail, and you might
> want to protect it from spies. That said, I think it is not a
> requirement of the widget format itself to provide such protection.
> Generic methods, such as e-mail encryption or SSL are probably
> adequate.

Agreed. Widget encryption has been removed as a requirement. Authors
are free to encrypt packages using whatever means they have at their
disposal, but they will need to be decrypted before they can be run on
a widget engine. We make no requirement on widget engines to support
encryption (even if the packaging format supports it).

--
Marcos Caceres
http://datadriven.com.au