Re: [RDFa] Widgets Schema and an Example in RDFa + HTML

Hi Michael,
Thanks for the feedback. Although your idea is interesting, I have not
seen any widget engines that actually use RDF for the metadata format.
For the widget spec, we are following industry practices and I think
it would be too much a revolutionary step to require a widget engine
to have to process RDF.

Besides, if I had my way, I would do away with XML all together and
just to the manifest/configuration with simple JavaScript Object
Notation. I am not convinced that there is any real advantage in using
XML over other formats.
Marcos

On 3/15/07, Hausenblas, Michael <michael.hausenblas@joanneum.at> wrote:

> I recently read your proposals for a widget specification - very
> impressive!
>
> In the Widgets 1.0 Requirements WD you write ...
>
>         'The manifest language must be defined using XML [...]'
>
> Well, this doesn't exclude RDF, right? So here are my 2 cents:
>
> Taking the Widget specification [2] as a start, I defined an
> RDF schema for the manifest document [3], and created a sample widget,
> marked up with RDFa + HTML [4]. To actually generate the RDF that is
> embedded in the HTML file, one has extract it; the result of this is
> available at [5].
>
> I hope this helps you in your discussions. Please note that with this
> approach other issues (IPR, content negotiation, etc.) can be easily
> addressed as well - as shown in the sample with the license info.
>
> Cheers,
>         Michael
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/widgets-reqs/#req_xml
> [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/widgets/
> [3] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/RDFa/work/waf-wg/widgets-schema.rdf
> [4]
> http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/RDFa/work/waf-wg/xsample-widget/index.html
> [5]
> http://torrez.us/services/rdfa/?url=http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/RDFa/w
> ork/waf-wg/xsample-widget/index.html

>  Michael Hausenblas, MSc.
>  Institute of Information Systems & Information Management
>  JOANNEUM RESEARCH Forschungsgesellschaft mbH
>  Steyrergasse 17, A-8010 Graz, AUSTRIA
>
>  <office>
>     phone: +43-316-876-1193 (fax:-1191)
>    e-mail: michael.hausenblas@joanneum.at