Re: [XBL] - please remove reference to HTML5

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 00:31:32 +0100, Jon Ferraiolo <jferrai@us.ibm.com>
wrote:
> Regarding (1): When I look at (http://www.w3.org/TR/xbl/#references), I
> do not see anything in this section that says which references are
> normative
> or informative.

Quite clearly non-normative references are prefixed with "(Informative)".
(I personally like this style a lot more than having two separate
sections, but I suppose opinions differ on that.)

> Regarding (2):  You say: "Do you have a pointer?" Are you asking for a
> pointer to Dean's email (if so, it's earlier in the same thread), or are
> you asking for a pointer to the fact that it is inappropriate to include
> a normative reference to specs that change at the whim of the authors?
> If the latter, sorry, I don't have a pointer, but I expect somewhere in
> the
> standards world somehow has written up something to this effect. It's
> just common sense and accepted practice. Without this, the standards
> world would have chaos.

I'm not convinced.

> I can't believe this notion would even be challenged. Instead
> of you asking me to provide a pointer to show that this is defined
> policy, I ask you to find an approved Recommendation at W3C that makes a
> normative reference to a spec that is maintained by an organization
> without a formal process or patent policy and what openly says its specs
> are subject to
> change.

This is not a recommendation and won't be for the foreseeable future.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>