Re: [XBL] - please remove reference to HTML5

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 19:02:52 +0100, Jon Ferraiolo <jferrai@us.ibm.com>
wrote:
> 1) The XBL spec's references section needs to distinguish between
> normative and informative references.

It does.

> 2) Normative references represent an indirect inclusion of a different
> specification. In most cases, it is not appropriate for W3C
> specifications to normatively reference specifications that get changed
> at the whim of the authors and/or which do not have an associated patent
> policy. (I think
> that's the thrust of Dean's email.)

Do you have a pointer?

> 3) It might be OK to reference the HTML5 spec as published by the WhatWG
> as an *informative* reference (particularly as a temporary editing
> solution), but it would be better if the features from the WhatWG's
> HTML5 spec were
> submitted to the W3C, discussed in appropriate W3C working groups for
> possible inclusion in W3C specs, and then have the XBL spec reference the
> relevant W3C specs informatively (or normatively if a required feature in
> XBL is defined within the other W3C spec).

As far as I can tell this is just your opinion. I agree, and I expect it
will happen in due course, but I don't see why the reference would have to
removed for now because of this.

> 4) If there is a need to recognize and congratulate the WhatWG for its
> HTML5 work somehow, then it makes sense to do this recognition within an
> acknowledgements section rather than the main body of the spec or the
> normative part of references section.

That's not what the reference is for.

--
Anne van Kesteren