W3C Referencing Policy [Was: Re: [XBL] Security Concerns]

Hi Ian, Cameron,

I asked Ian Jacobs to clarify the W3C's Referencing Policy in the
context of this thread (i.e.  "referring to unstable drafts") and
this is what he reported:

[[
Here is the text [from the W3C Manual of Style]:

<http://www.w3.org/2001/06/manual/#normative>

"Normative references should be to stable and mature resources (e.g.,
only Recommendations)."

Thus, it is not forbidden. Especially when a document is a draft, it
seems unproblematic. The Manual of Style also says:

    'If a reference is a W3C Recommendation track technical report that
     has not reached Recommendation, state in the References section
that
     it is "work in progress."'

Once the document becomes a Proposed Recommendation, it is ill-advised
to refer to an instable document, as the group is likely to have to wait
until the unstable reference becomes a Proposed Recommendation before it
can continue to advance.
]]

Art
---