Re: [XBL] Abstract

Hi Ian,
XForms has two major components, things that have to do with the data model
and things that have to do with UI controls. The data model includes a
(fairly simple) data dependency engine and a event-driven processing model
with a number of different events defined. These things require a dedicated
engine. XBL doesn't help with these features.

But XBL definitely makes sense for UI controls. In fact, last I heard, the
XForms extension to Mozilla leverages XBL heavily for the implementation of
its UI controls. (Steve might know more about this than me.)

It's not a big deal with regard to the spec one way or the other, but I
think Steve's feedback is on target.

Jon

Jon Ferraiolo <jferrai@us.ibm.com>
Web Architect, Emerging Technologies
IBM, Menlo Park, CA
Mobile: +1-650-926-5865

             Ian Hickson
             <ian@hixie.ch>
             public-appformats         Steve K Speicher/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
             -request@w3.org                                            cc
                                       public-appformats@w3.org
                                                                   Subject
             01/08/2007 02:21          Re: [XBL] Abstract
             PM

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, Steve K Speicher wrote:

> Abstract says:
>     "For example, XBL could in theory be used to implement XForms."
> seems this is a bit overstating what XBL can be used for.  Perhaps it
> would be better to say:
>     "For example, XBL could be used to implement the XForms UI controls."
> As this is true for Mozilla XForms extension.

I'm not sure it really is overstating it. What couldn't be done with XBL
as far as implementing XForms goes?