Re: [XBL] "Semantics"

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, Doug Schepers wrote:

> "XBL cannot be used to give a document new semantics. The meaning of a
> document is not changed by any bindings that are associated with it,
> only its presentation and interactive behavior."
>
> It's not clear why this statement is included, what it means

It means that if I bind something to:

...it doesn't stop being a paragraph.

> or that it's provably accurate.

It is a statement of fact: since there is no feature in XBL that changes
semantics, it is impossible for XBL to change semantics.

> Please remove it.

Why? It is very important that this point be made, IMHO. I, in fact, was
considering making a much bigger deal out of it, maybe with its own
section.

> The word "semantic" is used several times with (as far as I can tell) at
> least 2 different meanings, but is not defined.  If you must use this
> term, please define it for the purposes of this document and stick to
> that definition.

Defined.