Re: Widgets draft questions and remarks

Thomas,

On Feb 19, 2007, at 3:36 AM, ext Thomas Landspurg wrote:

>   I have a few questions regarding the current draft:
>
> - when the paragraph 1.1 will be clarified (relationship to webpage
> embedded widgets). The focus of the document seemsl to be clearely
> desktop widgets, right?
>
> - relation to mobile: the mobile reference has been made several
> times, as well as the "platform independence" notion. From our
> experience, even if on the technical point of view you can probably
> create widgets that can run easly on web and mobile (a simple clock
> for instance), it's usually much more relevent to have different
> version, because:
> - UI is different (no mouse, limited keyboard)
> - different input device (camera, bluetooth, voice, etc...)
> - usage pattern is different
> - technical constraint are differents (memory, CPU speed, etc...)
>
> So how do we want to address such problem? Are they two different
> widgets? Is it the same widgets with specific case depending of the
> device?

The scope of the Widget-related spec work being done by the Web
Application Formats (WAF) WG is bound by the WG's Charter:

  <http://www.w3.org/2006/appformats/admin/charter>

Currently the scope for this work item is limited to the packaging
format and the manifest resource. Topics such as the Widget UI (e.g.
does the Widget use HTML, CSS, SVG, etc.) and how to access the
Widget's "context" (e.g. Contacts data, device capabilities, presence
information, etc.) are not in scope.

> Anyway, I would be happy to see a requirement adressing this issue

The latest Widgets 1.0 Requirements Working Draft was published 9 Feb
2007:

   <http://www.w3.org/TR/widgets-reqs/>

Regards,

Art Barstow