Re: [XBL] Accessing flattened tree parents of a shadow tree

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007, Cameron McCormack wrote:

> After further discussion in the SVG WG we have resolved that this is too
> hacky. :)  In a CDF document we do not want all of the HTML elements
> implementing this nearestViewportElement property too.  It should also
> be possible for the nearestViewportElement property to be implemented
> without knowledge of which bindings are being used between it and the
> svg:svg element.
>
> Our desire for an interface to traverse up the flattened tree remains.

Ok. Your request is still marked as a formal objection. (Since your
request directly contradicts another request, I can't satisfy both. I have
opted in favour of the other request because your reequest has a
workaround, as noted earlier in this thread.)

> Incidentally, a use case for full access to the flattened tree was given
> to me recently: namely, to be able to construct a “snapshot” of the
> document to serialize for non-XBL UAs.  That would require an interface
> to peek into shadow trees as well as out of them however, and I
> understand that there would be more resistance to that than just going
> upwards.

I don't understand the use case. Wouldn't that be a UA-level feature?