Re: [XBL] Animation element targetting

(Could I request that you use text/plain e-mails instead of HTML e-mails?
I am having great trouble working out what content you are writing and
what content you are quoting, and your e-mails do not seem to be
searchable using the W3C search tools. Thanks...)

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007, Cyril Concolato wrote:

>> This is not intended to be the XBL model; the final flattened tree is
>> merely what is actually rendered, not what affects the rendering. Since
>> animation elements are presumably all display:none, they are not
>> rendered anyway and thus the issue of the final flattened tree is moot
>> for them.
>
> This point should be improved in the specification.

Fixed.

> The general rule in XBL for rendering is: if a child element of a bound
> element is not assigned to content element (i.e. not part of the final
> flattened tree), it is not rendered.
>
> One could expect the similar behavior: if a child element of a bound
> element is not assigned to a content element, and it is a timed element
> (animation or media), it is not animated.

One could assume that, but one would be wrong to. Similarly, <style>
elements apply whether in the FFT or not. Form controls submit regardless
of the FFT, only the core DOM applies. And so forth.

Does 'display:none' disable animation? Removing an element from the FFT is
equivalent to setting it to 'display:none' in many ways.

> - second, you wouldn't be able to design a binding that removes an
> animation.

What's the use case for that?

> Consider the following example, a rect whose color is animated. Suppose
> that I apply a binding to all rectangles to remove all sub-animations
> for whatever reasons (say I don't like animated rectangles ...).

(This isn't a realistic use case.)

Cheers,