RE: I18N issues for Widgets Spec [Was: Re: [Widgets] ASCII File names - request for comments]

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 16:38:13 -0000
To: "'Marcos Caceres'" <marcosscaceres@gmail.com>
Cc: <www-international@w3.org>, <public-appformats@w3.org>

I think, through the various contributions, we have arrived at some text for
http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets/#zip-archive0 that seems ok to me, with
one exception: the text "Note: To ensure interoperability, authors should
avoid non-ascii characters ".

For some readers this probably doesn't necessarily reflect what I think was
intended.

It can be read as a free-ranging statement or general principle that
non-ascii names can and forever will cause interoperability problems.

I think what you wanted to say is something along the lines of: due to
current implementation issues with the zip format,  there may be some
interoperability issues with the use of non-ascii characters at this time.

RI

Richard Ishida
Internationalization Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)