Re: [AC] Access Control Algorithm

Hi All,

I've started implementing the Access control spec as part of work to
implement cross site XMLHttpRequest. However I'm not really happy with
the current algorithm.

One thing that is very important IMHO is that it is possible using
headers to turn off access to a whole server. One usecase for this would
be if a site notices some files are missconfigured and as immediate
security precaution disables access to all files while figuring out what
is wrong.
Another scenario would be a hosting server such as livejournal or
geocities wanting to disable access to all their hosted files even
though other users manage the contents of those files.

So this puts two requirements on the algorithm. First of all we can't
simply merge whatever lists are in the headers with the lists produced
by the PIs in the page. Second, we need an explicit way to deny access,
not just exclude from the accept list.

I would suggest the following algorithm:

For headers the following syntax is used

Content-Access-Control ::= "Content-Access-Control" ":" ruleset
ruleset        ::= rule ("," rule)*
rule           ::= access pattern+
access         ::= "allow" | "deny"
pattern        ::= "<" access-item ">"

(I've removed the explicit whitespace markers for clarity in the above,
they should of course be in the spec)

For each rule in the ruleset, apply the following algorithm in order.
   1. If the requesting site matches any of the patterns in the rule set
      and access is "deny" set result to deny and stop.
   2. If the requesting site matches any of the patterns in the rule set
      and access is "allow" set result to allow and stop.
   3. Skip the rule and move on to the next, if there are no more rules
      set the result to "none"

If the result was "deny" abort processing and deny user access. If the
result was "allow" or "none" search for access control PIs using the
following steps:

For each child node of the document:
   1. If the node is an element, stop.
   2. If the node is not a processing instruction with the target
      "access-control", skip to next node.
   3. If any of the patterns in the deny pseudo-attribute matches
      the requesting uri set result to "deny" and stop
   4. If any of the patterns in the allow pseudo-attribute matches
      the requesting uri set result to "allow" and stop

If the result is "allow" give user access to the document, note that
this can happen if no pattern matched in step 3 or 4, but the result was
"allow" from when processing the headers.
Otherwise, i.e. if the result is "deny" or "none", deny user access to
the document.

This should be pretty intuitive. For both headers and PIs the first
matching rule is used. In PIs where allow and deny appear in the same
rule deny takes precedence for extra security.
If the headers say deny access is denied. If the headers say allow we
also check with the document.
This also allows both the document author and the server admin to deny
access to the document.

What do people think?

Best Regards
/ Jonas