Re: My position on Web Forms 2.0 and the future of XForms

From: Doug Schepers <doug.schepers@vectoreal.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 20:40:20 -0400
To: Matthew Raymond <mattraymond@earthlink.net>
Cc: public-appformats@w3.org

Hi, Matthew-

Matthew Raymond wrote:
>    First, let me point out the following:
>
> 1) HTML is not going away in the immediate future. (In fact, I believe
> Microsoft has stated that they won't be adding support for XHTML to
> Internet Explorer.)

I'd like to debunk this particular speculative misinformation. Chris
Wilson has explicitly stated [1] that they do intend to support XHTML,
just not in IE7 (which I assume does not count out IE7.1, etc).  In IE7,
they will not honor the "application/xml+xhtml" MIME Type, but he also
says, "We have fixed the DOCTYPE switch so it will skip an XML prolog,
so that valid XHTML can be handled in strict compliance mode rather than
quirks mode."

[1] http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/09/15/467901.aspx

Regards-
-Doug