Re: tone of discussion regarding XForms/WF2

Francisco Monteiro wrote:
> I think the whole debate should switch to W3C compound document and how best
> to achieve this.

   I fail to see how this will help, especially since there are HTML
fallback and conceptual conflict issues that have nothing to do with
compound documents. We should keep this in public-appformats at least
until Ian Hickson gets back from vacation.

> As I previously mentioned there is room for more then 1 technology here but
> there should be no duplicate in authoring Web applications options.

   I would agree. That's why I think the next version of XForms should
be a superset of WF2 and previous XForms recommendations if at all
possible. Keep in mind, however, that HTML-only user agents will likely
implement WF2 (or something like it) regardless whether the W3C extends
HTML or not, and if IE implements WF2, other user agents will be forced
to implement it because of IE's market share. In that scenario, W3C will
have gained nothing by excluding HTML from modern web forms standards,
and in fact may undermine its own credibility.