[Widgets] Autodiscovery

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 19:03:16 +1100
To: public-appformats@w3.org

Hi,
   The current draft defines that rel="alternate" should be used for
autodiscovery of widgets [1].  I think that is a mistake because a
widget isn't necessarily an alternate representation of the document.
In fact, in most cases, it won't be.  Consider a site like Apple's
Dashboard widget download page [2], which lists many widgets for
download, none of which are alternatives of that page.

I propose that a new "widget" value be defined for that purpose instead.

<link rel="widget" type="application/widget"
       href="/example.widget" title="An Example Widget">

I also think the value should be allowed on <a> elements as well, and
autodiscovery should work for such links.  Since authors are usually
going to include a link to the widget somewhere in the page, it's
redundant to require that each one also be specified

The value also makes the use of the type attribute optional, since UAs
can just recognise the widget value.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-widgets-20061109/#autodiscovery
[2] http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/

--