Widgets 1.0 Suggestions [WD-widgets-20061109]

From: Andrew Lenart <posterandrewlenart@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 02:18:58 -0800 (PST)
To: public-appformats@w3.org

Dear Anne and Marcos,

I suggest that section 2.5 (File Extension) should say
that, in an environment where a file extension rather than
a content-type is used to indicate the media type, the
recommended file extension is '.widget'.

In section 3:
A DTD is probably appropriate.
How about a link to info about the widget, not just the
Why shouldn't the icon be in JPEG format, or
image/invented-next-year format, for that matter?
My guess is that you'll end up allowing an external link
for the icon (w3.org/TR/webarch, section 4.4), although you
might recommend an internal link.
Your 'id' element is (intended to be) much more unique than
just within the XML document; since the attribute name 'id'
is frequently used for the latter, I suggest a different

Also, won't there be cases where the initial dimensions of
the widget should be determined by the environment, rather
than by the widget itself?

Yours sincerely,
Andrew Lenart

Sponsored Link

Compare mortgage rates for today.
Get up to 5 free quotes. www2.nextag.com