Re: Comments on XBL 2.0 Revision 1.43

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 11:28:30 +0200
To: dev-tech-xbl@lists.mozilla.org, public-appformats@w3.org

Some clarifications below (not for every remark though).

On Thu, 18 May 2006 01:33:14 +0200, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> | 5.7.3. The :-xbl-bound-element Pseudo-Class
> |
> | ISSUE-V Should add a forward reference to section 5.10.
>
> Why?

Because that section explains the "loop effect" with :-xbl-bound-element
and :-xbl-binding...

> | 5.7.4. Matching Pseudo-Elements
> |
> | ISSUE-W If the CSS parser does not support these pseudo elements, does
> | the XBL User Agent need to support them?
>
> I don't understand what the question means.

Lets say that UA A drops a selector like `foo bar::value` normally because
::value isn't supported. Is is it required to add that support for that
pseudo-element because of XBL?

> | 6.1. The XBLImplementation Interface
> |
> | ISSUE-X Need an example on how this interface is used. For example is
> | this something the author has to create?
>
> I agree that we need more examples.

Good :-)

> | 7.3. Mouse Event Handler Filters
> |
> | ISSUE-Y Need to add a Device Independence disclaimer/warning about this
> | functionality.
> |
> | 7.4. Key Event Handler Filters
> |
> | ISSUE-Z Need to add a Device Independence disclaimer/warning about this
> | functionality.
> |
> | 7.7. Modifiers
> |
> | ISSUE-AA Need to add a Device Independence disclaimer/warning about |
> this functionality.
> |
> | 7.10. Mouseover and Mouseout Events
> |
> | ISSUE-AB Need to add a Device Independence disclaimer/warning about |
> this functionality.
>
> I don't understand what is being requested here.

The basic problem is that listening for specific events is not guarenteed
to work cross-platform given that some devices might not dispatch certain
events, like some of the mouse events...