Re: For ZIP packaging, take a look at OCF (Open Container Format)

Art,
OCF=ZIP.

The main value from OCF is that it provides the excruciating spec details
for exactly what parts of the PKWare ZIP appnote apply and which ones
don't, which parts of the appnote must be supported, which parts must be
ignored, and things like that. I pointed out OCF because it looked like the
Widgets 1.0 spec was on the road to duplicating the work that has already
been done in OCF.

Regarding "everyone" - I actually did not mean everyone, just everyone who
has a commitment to truly open standards that are defined and controlled by
the community. (Versus some specifications that are under control by a
single vendor, thus giving them competitive advantage.) I am suggesting
that the standards world should unify around a single specification about
how to package files into a ZIP container, rather than have multiple
specifications on the same topic that are all slightly different.

Jon

Jon Ferraiolo <jferrai@us.ibm.com>
Web Architect, Emerging Technologies
IBM, Menlo Park, CA
Mobile: +1-650-926-5865

             Arthur Barstow
             <art.barstow@noki
             a.com>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  Jon Ferraiolo/Menlo Park/IBM@IBMUS
             public-appformats                                          cc
             -request@w3.org           public-appformats@w3.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: For ZIP packaging, take a look
             12/12/2006 06:46          at OCF (Open Container Format)
             AM

Hi John,

On Dec 11, 2006, at 5:33 PM, ext Jon Ferraiolo wrote:

> I noticed that Widgets 1.0 requires that widgets are bundled in
> ZIP. To save everyone time and energy, and to get the industry all
> on the same page, you should take a look at the OCF standard from
> the IDPF (the ebook/epublishing standards group).
Thanks for this pointer.

Would you please elaborate on "everyone" and "industry" as used above?

Please note the related requirements document [WAPF-REQ] includes a
number of design goals including "Current development practice and
industry best-practices". Additionally, all of the vendors noted in
the Appendix's first table support ZIP. If you are aware of any
errors in this table and/or can point us to missing entries, please
send us the data.

Regards,

Art Barstow
---