RE: For ZIP packaging, take a look at OCF (Open Container Format)

Hi Marcos,
It is trivial to build an OCF-compatible ZIP file. Just build a temporary
image of the desired ZIP files within a directory and then invoke any-old
ZIP utility, including the ZIP facilities within most operating systems,
WinZip, or Java's ZIP features. The result will be OCF compatible. The only
requirement that OCF adds to standard ZIP creation is that there must be a
META-INF/container.xml file that points to the root file for the package.

The main point of the ZIP sections of the OCF spec was to document
carefully what parts of the ZIP format were required, optional, and must be
ignored, in order for users to be able to create files with standard ZIP
tools.

Incidentally, in my previous comments, I suggested that in the case of
Widgets 1.0, the root file would be index.html. I looked at your spec some
more. No, the root file would be config.xml. This aligns exactly with OEBPS
(Open eBook), which has its own special root file, its *.opf file. When you
look at the OCF spec, notice that the examples show that a file with
extension .opf is the root file (not an HTML file).

Jon

Jon Ferraiolo <jferrai@us.ibm.com>
Web Architect, Emerging Technologies
IBM, Menlo Park, CA
Mobile: +1-650-926-5865

             "Marcos Caceres"
             <m.caceres@qut.ed
             u.au>                                                      To
             Sent by:                  Jon Ferraiolo/Menlo Park/IBM@IBMUS
             public-appformats                                          cc
             -request@w3.org           <public-appformats@w3.org>
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: For ZIP packaging, take a look
             12/11/2006 10:37          at OCF (Open Container Format)
             PM

Hi Jon,
Thanks for the input and bringing to our attention the OCF Draft. I
personally have not looked too closely at OCF yet, but I’ll investigate OCF
as a possible candidate packaging format for Widgets. Like you said, it
depends on its compatibility with ZIP and if vendors are willing to jump on
board and implement OCF specific things (whatever they may be). Just as
importantly, I also need to look at how easy it is for a user to create an
OCF abstract/physical package... and how well does OCF conform to the
Client Side Web Applications (Widgets) Requirements [1], particularly as it
relates to packaging, metadata, and signing?  (at first glance, they are
very closely aligned).

Regarding Zip-64, it is still unclear to me why Opera excluded 64-bit
support in the current Widget 1.0 spec input. Anyone from Opera willing to
give us some insight? Despite what is currently there, I don’t believe the
next release of the Widget spec will be restrictive on 64-bit support.
However, allowing 64-bit zip support needs to be further investigated by
the WAF Working Group, particularly in relation to mobile devices/phones
and on widget engines generally.

Once I give the OCF draft a good read over and discuss it with the working
group I will let you know more. I encourage you to also read [1] in the
mean time and send any additional thoughts and comments.

Kind regards,
Marcos
[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/WAPF-REQ/