Re: [XBL] XBL 2.0 Semantic-free XML elements

Hi all,

karl@w3.org a écrit :
> Hi,
> This is a QA Review comment for "XML Binding Language (XBL) 2.0"
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-xbl-20060907/
> 2006-06-19
> Last Call WD
>
> About http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-xbl-20060907/#xbl-elements
>

> [[[
> Similarly, XBL elements (other than the xbl element itself) that do not have a correct xbl element as an ancestor are in error too, and UAs must ignore them, treating them as they would any arbitrary semantic-free XML element.
> ]]] -- XML Binding Language (XBL) 2.0
>        http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-xbl-20060619/#the-xbl
>        Tue, 20 Jun 2006 15:27:58 GMT
>
> What is a semantic-free XML element? There is no definition for this.
> How does it differ in the processing for User agents?
> What a user agent is supposed to do with something which is not s semantic-free XML element?

I, too, agree with this comment. I don't understand the notion of
semantic free. An element is given semantic not by pure magic but
because there is a specification describing its semantics. There is no
such thing as (universally) semantic-free XML element. There are XML
elements whose semantics are unknown to a particular implementation.
What you probably want to say is that any implementation has a behavior
when encountering an element whose semantics is not known to that
implementation. And you want that same behavior to apply to XBL elements
in error. But, to solve the issue, I would propose to remove ", treating
them as they would any arbitrary semantic-free XML element". I think
"ignore" is enough.

Cyril Concolato