Reference to IRI matching rules...

From: Brad Porter <brad@tellme.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 06:06:12 -0700
To: public-appformats@w3.org

I had been reading an earlier version of the draft
(http://www.w3.org/International/iri-edit/draft-duerst-iri-03.txt) that
included this text when I proposed byte-wise comparison

>    In some scenarios a definite answer to the question of IRI
>    equivalence is needed that is independent of the scheme used and
>    always can be calculated quickly and without accessing a network.  An
>    example of such a case might be XML Namespaces ([XMLNamespace]).  In
>    such cases, two IRIs SHOULD be defined as equivalent if and only if
>    they are character-by-character equivalent.  This is the same as
>    being byte-by-byte equivalent if the character encoding for both IRIs
>    is the same.  As an example,
>    http://example.org/~user, http://example.org/%7euser, and
>    http://example.org/%7Euser would not be equivalent under this
>    definition.  In such a case, the comparison function MUST NOT map the
>    IRIs to URIs, because such a mapping would create something different
>    under this equivalence relationship.
The latest draft specifies a "Simple String Comparison" method that
should likely be used instead.  The latest draft is here:
http://www.w3.org/International/iri-edit/draft-duerst-iri-11.txt

Brad