Re: XBL media type?

From: Dean Jackson <dino@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 22:25:36 +1000
Cc: Mark Baker <mbaker@rim.com>, public-appformats@w3.org
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>

On 23/08/2006, at 8:12 AM, Ian Hickson wrote:

> Thus I don't think it is necessary for us to define a MIME type
> beyond the
> generic application/xml. XBL will be found in XML sent with all
> kinds of
> MIME types.

I agree with your points.

However, I still think it is worth defining a MIME type for (at
least) the following reasons:

- it's a fairly small amount of effort (possibly with the exception
of the security section, but you already have to write that for the
spec in general)

- it *might* be nice for applications that want to do something
special when coming across content that is marked as XBL. For
example, a hypothetical browser may display XBL files in an
interesting way or have some super cool editing mode. If we only use
application/xml then it would have to sniff.

(Yeah, I know you think Content-Type is dead)

Dean