Re: XBL2 and xml:id

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 15:46:46 +0200
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: public-appformats@w3.org

* Ian Hickson wrote:
>It has come to my attention that not everybody thought that the xml:id
>discussion was resovled. To recap, the conclusion was that xml:id can
>be used with XBL2 if desired, and that in addition, a simple "id"
>attribute is to be included for consistency with HTML.

I understand from:

  If the URI contains a fragment identifier, it must point to a
  specific binding element (by id) within an XBL subtree in the
  specified document, and that element must be a direct child of
  an xbl element that does not itself have an xbl element as an
  ancestor; if these conditions are not met then the URI is in error.

that authors cannot use xml:id instead of the id attribute. If they
should be able to use xml:id instead, the reference to "by id" above
is misleading.