Re: XBL in CSS

From: T.V Raman <raman@google.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 17:12:41 -0700
To: ian@hixie.ch
Cc: raman@google.com, bert@w3.org, www-style@w3.org, public-appformats@w3.org

It doesn't quite allay the concern -- it might be "language
version independent" as seen today --- but it'll effectively
dictate how future versions of CSS evolve -- in the name of
"backward compatibility".

I would express an equivalent concern over the way CSS selectors
are presently tied into XBL -- it's also not clear in that
instance which version of CSS is being  "bound" to.

Ian Hickson writes:

 > On Thu, 17 Aug 2006, T.V Raman wrote:
 > >
 > > Tying together given versions of CSS and XBL at specific design points
 > > is likely to turn into a maintainance problem long-term.
 >
 > The property is actually language-version independent; in fact other
 > people on this thread have even suggested that the proposed features could
 > be used with other binding languages in due course. I agree it would be a
 > bad idea to tie specific versions together like this; hopefully this
 > clarification alleviates the concern.
 >
 > --

Best Regards,
--raman