Re: Decouple XBL2 From CSS

From: Dean Jackson <dino@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 15:45:48 +1000
Cc: Doug Schepers <doug.schepers@vectoreal.com>, 'Mark Birbeck' <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>, public-appformats@w3.org
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>

Hi Ian,

On 05/08/2006, at 7:08 AM, Ian Hickson wrote:

> I have also asked various experts in the field, including
> implementors of
> major Web browser vendors and representatives of the Web Standards
> Project. Their advice was almost unanimously to use Selectors
> rather than
> XPath. (In several cases, their actual reply was "what's XPath?".)

Is there any way you could get them to provide their advice to this
list? I'm not doubting your claim, but it would be better to get
feedback directly rather than by proxy (I'm often not sure if
you are speaking on behalf of Apple, Opera, Mozilla, Google or
some combination of the above). I'd be especially interested in
hearing the rationale of the people you consulted who wanted
XPath support, and how important it is to them (could they wait
for a future release, an extension, a new language?).

You see, I asked God and his advice was "XPath rocks" :)

BTW - I don't think anyone on this thread is suggesting to use XPath
rather than Selectors, which seems to be the argument you're fighting
here.

And for the record, I'm one of the people who asked Ian to
bring this specification to the W3C and negotiated with him the
agreement to strongly resist changes. I'll be sticking
to that deal.