Re: W3C Workshop on Web Games - Position Paper

On 24/04/2019 10:36, Matthew Tylee Atkinson wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> The W3C is running a workshop on web games [0] and one key focus of the discussions will be accessibility. I’ve drafted a position paper, based on research in this area, which is available for APA review on the Wiki [1].
>
> Please let us know if you have any feedback or questions about this. The submissions are due by the 10th of May.

The position paper looks good, and it includes some strong ideas.

One question, and it relates as much to the work I've been doing with
inclusive VR/AR/XR as it does games, is the viability of using ARIA to
identify anything other than the most basic and common objects within a
given environment?

It seems that to use ARIA as a means of identifying objects within a
game (or XR environment), it would be necessary to develop a taxonomy
for everything/anything that exists or might be imagined.

The notion of using ARIA in such a way has been discussed briefly (on an
APA call some time ago), and I expressed concerns then. Is this what
this position paper is suggesting now, or is it suggesting a more
confined ARIA taxonomy?

I hope you do attend the workshop Matthew. Your experience in the
development and enjoyment of accessible gaming will be invaluable there.

Léonie.

--
@TetraLogical TetraLogical.com