Re: Magnified Caption Files

Hi John,
We had a good discussion about this today on the LVTF call [1].
The LVTF does not believe that author testing with screen magnification
will have any benefit for users. Screen magnification software will
pixelate captions as it does the video and pictures. We don't know of
anything the author could do to the captions that would prevent the
pixelation.

It seems the issue has been taken over by laws and technological
advancements because of CVAA and 2014 FCC rules mandating user control of
caption adjustments [2]. As examples, see 3PlayMedia's discussion of user
interface controls for caption adjustments [3] and YouTubes caption
settings [4]. Users are able to adjust captions to a significant degree.

1.
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-low-vision-a11y-tf/2018Feb/0014.html
2.
http://www.fcc.gov/document/closed-captioning-quality-report-and-order-declaratory-ruling-fnprm