Re: APA Announces Pronunciation Task Force

From: Mitchell Evan <mtchllvn@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2018 00:15:12 -0800
To: public-apa@w3.org, public-pronunciation@w3.org
Thank you Irfan and Janina for starting this task force. I strongly support
the goals, and I agree the education space is the most crucial. However, I
have two main concerns. (1) Pronunciation in assistive technologies should
not be programmatically walled off from pronunciation in mainstream
text-to-speech. (2) Lexical annotations should be on the same roadmap as
phonetic annotations as drivers for pronunciation. I've developed these
thoughts in a blog post, and I welcome your discussion and critique.
https://mitch11.blogspot.com/2018/12/for-pronunciation-tf.html

Cheers,
Mitchell

--