W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-apa@w3.org > August 2018

Minutes from 15 August call

From: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2018 13:05:51 -0400
To: W3C WAI Accessible Platform Architectures <public-apa@w3.org>
Message-ID: <20180815170551.GJ1496@rednote.net>
Minutes from the weekly APA teleconference of 15 August are provided
below as text. They're available as hypertext at:

https://www.w3.org/2018/08/15-apa-minutes.html

   W3C

                                                                                   - DRAFT -

                                                        Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

15 Aug 2018

Attendees

   Present
          Joanmarie_Diggs, janina, Léonie, Jonny, Becka11y, MichaelC, gottfried, IanPouncey, jonny_james

   Regrets

   Chair
          janina

   Scribe
          Léonie, janina, Léoniezakim, close this item

Contents

     * Topics
         1. Agenda Review; New member welcome; Announcements
         2. WebEx accessibility
         3. TPAC 2018 & Developer Demos https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Meetings/TPAC_2018
         4. Upcoming Workshops & CSUN Planning
         5. CSS Update
         6. new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html
     * Summary of Action Items
     * Summary of Resolutions
     _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

   <LJWatson> scribe: Léonie

Agenda Review; New member welcome; Announcements

   <LJWatson> JS: Standard agenda

   <LJWatson> ... We have new people joining us.

   <LJWatson> ... Will go around the channel for introductions.

   <LJWatson> ... I've tried to simplify the agenda announcements.

   <LJWatson> ... If you miss the time conversion information, do let me know.

   <MichaelC> Note the telecon info page has a link to time zone conversion

   <LJWatson> MC: The telecon information page has a link to a time converter.

   <LJWatson> JS: Other agenda items?

   <LJWatson> LW: Can we talk about WebEx accessibility?

WebEx accessibility

   <janina> scribe: janina

   lw: Noticed webex web interface has been updated. Was unable to login using webrtc plus screen reader

   lb: Buttons inaccessible--drop down not doing it

   mc: Notes link to classic view--should be the old reliable
   ... Seems to remember your preference, too

   lb: Filed many issues

   mc: Need to keep the pressure up--MIT probably in violation of its own policies

   <LJWatson> scribe: Léoniezakim, close this item

   <LJWatson> LW: Lots of orgs are moving away from WebEx, and Zoom seems to be a common alternative.

   <LJWatson> ... Has reasonable accessibility too I belive.

   <LJWatson> JS: Also an accessibility possibility, which is encouraging.

   <LJWatson> MC: A problem is that MIT pays for the WebEx we use, and W3C does not have budget to spend on a different solution.

TPAC 2018 & Developer Demos https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Meetings/TPAC_2018

   <LJWatson> JS: Léonie, we want to meet with WebPlat.

   <LJWatson> ... Very little on the agenda so far.

   <LJWatson> ... We have a Monday overlap with WebPlat.

   <LJWatson> ... Though could maybe find time on Friday, with agreement with ARIA.

   <LJWatson> ... Topics include:

   <LJWatson> 1. Personalisation Semantics

   <LJWatson> 2. Publishing (TTML, WebVTT) and HTML

   <LJWatson> ... Particularly synchronised media using HTML.

   <LJWatson> 3. Math on the web.

   <LJWatson> LW: Would be good to know how long we want for the meeting.

   <LJWatson> JS: Two hours would be good.

   <LJWatson> LW: Two hours is unlikely I'm afraid.

   <LJWatson> ... Would an hour work?

   <LJWatson> JS: We can prioritise.

   <LJWatson> LW: I'll look at the WebPlat agenda and let you know ASAP.

Upcoming Workshops & CSUN Planning

   <LJWatson> JS: The Permissions workshop is happening in San Diego.

   <MichaelC> W3C Workshop on Permissions and User Consent

   <LJWatson> ... There are accessibility matters relating to this, so it would be good if someone could attend.

   <LJWatson> ... Look for a message relating to this on the p-apa list.

   <MichaelC> user consent - How is consent given in a way that does not reveal that a person has a disability? How can basic a11y principles, like undo permissions that
   have been given by accident, be implemented?

   <MichaelC> bundling of permissions - How are they presented to people with cognitive impairments?

   <MichaelC> UIs and controls - How to make them easily understandable, perceivable, operable. Visible for low-vision people


   <MichaelC> special considerations for systems that use the browser as a pass-through (e.g. EME and Web Authentication) - Would that also apply to assistive
   technologies?

   <MichaelC> Permissions/consent APIs often include timeouts - e.g. if you don't fill in this form within five minutes you have to start over.

   <LJWatson> ... There is also an Authentication workshop coming up.

   <LJWatson> ... Lastly, want to look ahead to APA presentations at CSUN.

CSS Update

   <LJWatson> JS: Question is where we are, and whether we'll get through the backlog?

   <LJWatson> IP: Good news is that there are now two of us.

   <LJWatson> ... Jonny has joined the TF.

   <LJWatson> JS: We need to add Jonny to the TF.

   <LJWatson> MC: Will do this.

   <LJWatson> IP: We should go through the list.

   <LJWatson> JS: Shall we use the actions list?

   <MichaelC> CSS specs APA tracks

   <LJWatson> MC: Suggest Ian look through his actions and cross-reference them.

   <LJWatson> IP: The only one of note seems to be display:contents;

   <MichaelC> specs that are šassignedš

   <LJWatson> ... Best we can do is encourage the CSS WG to add a note to the spec, describing the accessibility situation.

   <LJWatson> ... We need to talk with the browser vendors, but the first step is to let developers know.

   <LJWatson> MC: Tis is a strong reason to have accessibility sections in specs.

   <LJWatson> +1

   <LJWatson> JS: Suggest we ask the CSS WG to add a note.

   <LJWatson> LW: What stage is the spec?

   <LJWatson> MC: WD.

   <LJWatson> IP: We'll file a Github issue, and update the action with a link to that issue.

   <MichaelC> CSS TF spec reviews

   <LJWatson> MC: The display:; issue doesn't seem to be included in either of these places ^^.

   <MichaelC> display:contents breaks accessibility

   <LJWatson> IP: It isn't really a review, it's more an issue we're investigating.

   <LJWatson> MC: It does relate to a review though.

   <LJWatson> ... Oh. I filed an issue by the looks of things.

   <LJWatson> ... There are another three new CSS specs to take a look at.

   <MichaelC> Ian issues

   <LJWatson> ... On issues assigned to you, I'm assuming you'l open issues in the CSS repo and cross-reference?

   <LJWatson> IP: Yes

   <LJWatson> ... There is one already, for Fonts I think.

   <LJWatson> ... There was someone else interested in joining the TF.

   <LJWatson> ... Amy Carney.

   <LJWatson> MC: Doesn't ring a bell.

   <LJWatson> IP: I'll send over the request/info again.

   <LJWatson> JS: Copy me please.

   <LJWatson> IP: Yes

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

   <MichaelC> CSS Box Model Module Level 3

   <LJWatson> MC: CSS Box Model module Level 3

   <MichaelC> CSS Painting API Level 1

   <LJWatson> ... CSS Painting API Level 1

   <LJWatson> ... We wanted to circle back to this, after we originally reviewed it.

   <MichaelC> CSS Values and Units Module Level 4

   <LJWatson> ... CSS Values and Units module Level 4

   <LJWatson> ... Took a quick look and didn't find anything.

   <LJWatson> IP: We can take a look to be certain.

   <MichaelC> HTML 5.3

   <LJWatson> ... HTML5.3

   <LJWatson> LW: For the moment HTML is in a holding pattern whilst the WHATWG negotiations are taking place.

   <LJWatson> ... Suggest marking this request as complete, until we know the outcome of those discussions.

   <LJWatson> MC: SVG2

   <LJWatson> ... Went to CR without warning.

   <LJWatson> LW: Think we should, and I'm happy to do it.

   <MichaelC> ACTION: watson to review SVG2

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-2179 - Review svg2 [on Léonie Watson - due 2018-08-22].

   <MichaelC> action-2179: https://www.w3.org/TR/SVG2/

   <trackbot> Notes added to action-2179 Review svg2.

   <scribe> scribe: janina

   <MichaelC> action-2179: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Scalable_Vector_Graphics_(SVG)_2

   <trackbot> Notes added to action-2179 Review svg2.

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: watson to review SVG2

Summary of Resolutions

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Present: Joanmarie_Diggs janina Léonie Jonny Becka11y MichaelC gottfried IanPouncey jonny_james
Scribes: Léonie, janina
Found Date: 15 Aug 2018
People with action items: watson


-- 

Janina Sajka

Linux Foundation Fellow
Executive Chair, Accessibility Workgroup:	http://a11y.org

The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)
Chair, Accessible Platform Architectures	http://www.w3.org/wai/apa
Received on Wednesday, 15 August 2018 17:06:18 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 15 August 2018 17:06:19 UTC