W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-apa@w3.org > January 2017

Minutes: APA Web Payments Telecon; Thursday 19 January at 15:00Z --

From: Michiel Bijl (list) <michiel.list@moiety.me>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 18:03:11 +0000
To: W3C WAI Accessible Platform Architectures <public-apa@w3.org>
Message-Id: <17A1AE96-7A5E-4655-8901-6714423DA587@moiety.me>
The minutes for today’s call can be found as text in this e-mail or at the following URL: https://www.w3.org/2017/01/25-apa-minutes.html

For what it’s worth, was only 2.500 words.

— Michiel

   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                               - DRAFT -

     Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

25 Jan 2017

   See also: [2]IRC log

      [2] http://www.w3.org/2017/01/25-apa-irc

Attendees

   Present
          MichielBijl, Ralph, Léonie, Janina, Gottfried,
          Joanmarie_Diggs, MichaelC, ShaneM, Judy, JF, tdrake

   Regrets
   Chair
          Janina

   Scribe
          MichielBijl

Contents

     * [3]Topics
         1. [4]preview agenda with items from two minutes
         2. [5]Media Accessibility in W3C Specs
         3. [6]Input Events
            http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2016Nov
            /0005.html
         4. [7]Updating DOM--Any RFEs?
            https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom/2017JanMa
            r/0000.html
         5. [8]APA's Accessibility Checklist
         6. [9]next and future meetings
     * [10]Summary of Action Items
     * [11]Summary of Resolutions
     __________________________________________________________

   <janina_> /me michaelc: EMERGENCY: Can't get in on Webex for
   APA with 647 857 439

   <janina_> Argh. Webex is misbehaving. The 9 digit code isn't
   working for me

   <janina_> No go here either via SIP (my usual) or direct dial
   PSTN

   <janina_> Will try again

   <scribe> scribe: MichielBijl

preview agenda with items from two minutes

   JS: Hope to have Judy here today

   are we doing enough?

   are there missing pieces?

   Welcome Ralph!

   Any news or other relevant tidbits?

   LW: We published a new update to HTML 5.2

   Working draft update, no big milestone, nothing that impacts
   accessibility

Media Accessibility in W3C Specs

   JS: we did a lot of work to make sure HTML 5 supports
   everything we can reasonably expect

   We went through and came up with all kind use cases

   Came up with a notes document

   <janina_> [12]http://www.w3.org/TR/media-accessibility-reqs/

     [12] http://www.w3.org/TR/media-accessibility-reqs/

   That is the basis by which we talked to HTML about how to
   support it

   It should not be a surprise that some of them text

   Some of them are binary

   Like video or audio files

   And some of this is fixed up in use cases

   I know we’re listed in a charter

   Has just been renewed for another year

   Some of the folks there are familiar with what we’re about

   In some cases I’m seeing new names

   Not sure if they’re aware of what we’re about

   In some cases it’s hard to find out what an API is about

   There’re enormous opportunities to get this right

   Users at home

   Educational videos

   In a school setting for example

   Or even in a movie theatre

   HTML should be an inter-operable device

   Make it possible for hearing impaired users to use their smart
   device to listen to the main track or audio described track

   Maybe we have to update the MAUR

   We did for visual impaired users

   Not sure we did for hearing impaired users

   Might have documented some issues, but not the solutions

   You can find plenty of examples where you have subtitles and
   audio description

   RS: Thank you for inviting me

   <Ralph> [Ralph notes [13]http://www.daltonize.org/ for
   Daltonization]

     [13] http://www.daltonize.org/

   JF: I’m just curious

   You made mention of delivering solutions

   Was my understanding that the MAUR was about documenting use
   cases

   <Zakim> JF, you wanted to ask if it is the role of the MAUR to
   deliver "solutions", rather than articulating needs?

   JB: Motivation was to find the support between HTML and ??

   We wanted to achieve a technology neutral document

   With of those things in hand it should facilitate the
   technology options

   Until we have that each meeting there is a discussion

   scribe: a debate between which technology better address some
   user needs, TTML, or WebVTT?

   We noticed that since then there are a couple of groups

   That from time to time work in areas that relate to media
   accessibility, but without realizing the tie-ins such as the
   need for APIs, nor the availability of the MAUR doc

   One aspect is colour schemes

   Another is flash mitigation

   We can just capture the colour scheme aspect and the flash
   mitigation

   Happy to tell more about

   it

   JS: And very important

   Also some legal ramifications

   Make sure developers are aware of them

   What we need to follow through on

   Most of us have non real time things in mind

   There is the real time world as well that we’re working on

   All of them will probably come into play

   If we think of an entity like Canada

   About some thing

   That they would stream

   Being Canadian they have to do it in English and French.

   But you would also like to support the third scenario

   ??

   Also automatically decide which language you need

   Not sure WebRTC is appropriate for that

   We don’t have a standardised control

   JF: I’m struggling to understand what it is we’re trying to
   achieve

   JB: There’s still a very active a11y effort in W3C

   We’re opparating in different ways

   And media a11y issues come up sometimes

   In unexpected placed

   I think it may be useful to look at this question of where are
   media a11y opportunities coming up

   What would the APA need

   We want to drive the support for media a11y support

   JF: There have been two specific issues

   ??

   The other is about, lost the thread, switching between
   languages etc

   Real time support

   That somehow they can choose they can choose which audio stream
   they want to select?

   JS: Yeah, and also video

   RS: The content has to be there

   Our scope here is to say the content should be available

   And we need the infrastructure support

   for users to choose languages

   JS: ANd that last point is what APA is running into to

   We need to review whether it’s relevant

   We know it’s related to audio or something else

   I spend a lot of time on MEDIA

   We weren’t only talking about real time, but it’s hard to tell
   sometimes where it fits

   Where these APIs fit in the larger picture

   For APA one thing that is missing is how to place the APIs in
   the larger scheme

   Sometimes it’s hard to start the conversation on that.

   <Zakim> Judy, you wanted to ask a question

   <Judy> [14]https://www.w3.org/TR/media-accessibility-reqs/#toc

     [14] https://www.w3.org/TR/media-accessibility-reqs/#toc

   JB: Are you asking hey let’s look at maybe how can we make the
   document better known?

   If you look at the structure of the document

   There’re three main sections

   1. Summary of Accessible Media Requirements by Type of
   Disability

   2. Alternative Content Technologies

   3. System Requirements

   *description of these categories, please refer to document
   itself*

   <JF> I am still confused. The use-cases Janina has risen seems
   (to me) to be covered in the MAUR already. For example, the
   ability to switch language streams should be covered by this:
   [DAC-3] The user can browse the alternatives and switch between
   them.

   <JF> and perhaps this: [DAC-7] During time-based media
   playback, the user can determine which tracks are available and
   select or deselect tracks. These selections may override global
   default settings for captions, descriptions, etc.

   JB: I’m thinking maybe coming up with structure questions to
   focus people’s attention could get us farther

   Does that match at all what you’re trying to achieve with this
   document?

   JS: It does for me

   JB: John does it help you?

   JF: I mean, you brought up a use case, I went and looked at the
   MAUR, we have two uses cases that fit your issues

   JS: I think it might be point 2 and 3

   Point 2 is a frequent issue for APA

   What we expect a particular API to achieve

   What could conceivable be picked up by implementers and the
   like

   Then we start to look at do we ??

   as well as APIs and so forth.

   RS: John’s question makes an interesting point

   As new WG are formed

   It’s hard for different WGs to look at APIs and see what the
   intersections may be

   If we remind them that the MAUR exists

   If there is one thing I would encourage the APA to do

   Is to publish an update

   Would encourage to stage multiple updates

   To get more exposure as you update regularly

   JF: Want a sanity check

   What I’m hearing is we’re talking about two things

   1. Perhaps need to revisit MAUR and plug things

   2. How do we socialise the MAUR

   (within the W3C)

   Am I understanding this correctly

   JS & JB: Yes

   JS: Or a spin off

   MAUR 2: Die Harder

   JS: Michael should we build this into the checklist?

   Think we have an early draft

   <Ralph> [publishing an update is one of the ways to socialize
   the resource]

   Doesn’t include media yet

   <MichaelC> [15]http://w3c.github.io/pfwg/wtag/checklist.html

     [15] http://w3c.github.io/pfwg/wtag/checklist.html

   MC: So, I think in the APA we’ve been expected to come up with
   user requirements

   <janina_> Yes to similar counterparts

   Like payments(?)

   <janina_> Like payments

   The centralised checklist if you scroll down to the fourth big
   black bar (that’s WCAG fail Michael)

   JB: Are you looking for volunteers?

   JS: Yeah, I think so

   A lot of us here are already overcomitted

   JB: Iw ould be interested to contribute to ?? and the flash
   mitigation

   GZ: I would volunteer

   There are some standards coming up

   For example how text is contained in frames

   Something we should look at when we revise this document.

   JS: Any other thoughts?

   RS: Thanks for inviting me and would like to return from time
   to time

   JS: Interested to learn how to socialise the MAUR

   RS: One of our big goals

   Judy has support from other seniors to spread this around

   JS: Going once

   going twice

   sold!

   JS: Michael, a question: are there any new publications?

Input Events
[16]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2016Nov/0005.html

     [16] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2016Nov/0005.html

   JS: This is a WP set of issues

   We lost Rich S.

   He was the last to review

   We do have some comments from back in November

   LW: Did they make it as far as the group working on the spec

   JS: They might need some cleanup before we formally put them
   forward

   Not exactly sure how to go about the cleanup

   LW: Don’t mind taking a look at them

   The group that are working on them have a planned call around
   13th of February

   I’ll prioritise this

   JS: Do you want two weeks?

   <janina_> ACTION: Leonie to move forward from Rich's start re
   Input Events
   [17]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2016Nov/0005
   .html due +2 weeks [recorded in
   [18]http://www.w3.org/2017/01/25-apa-minutes.html#action01]

     [17] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2016Nov/0005.html
     [18] http://www.w3.org/2017/01/25-apa-minutes.html#action01]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-2110 - Move forward from rich's start
   re input events
   [19]http://lists.w3.org/archives/public/public-apa/2016nov/0005
   .html due +2 weeks [on Léonie Watson - due 2017-02-01].

     [19] http://lists.w3.org/archives/public/public-apa/2016nov/0005.html

   LW: Yes, won’t be here next week, will try to respond to the
   list before then.

   <MichaelC> action-2110 due 2 weeks

   <trackbot> Set action-2110 Move forward from rich's start re
   input events
   [20]http://lists.w3.org/archives/public/public-apa/2016nov/0005
   .html due +2 weeks due date to 2017-02-08.

     [20] http://lists.w3.org/archives/public/public-apa/2016nov/0005.html

   <MichaelC> action-2110:
   [21]https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Input_Events

     [21] https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Input_Events

   <trackbot> Notes added to action-2110 Move forward from rich's
   start re input events
   [22]http://lists.w3.org/archives/public/public-apa/2016nov/0005
   .html due +2 weeks.

     [22] http://lists.w3.org/archives/public/public-apa/2016nov/0005.html

   <MichaelC> action-2110:
   [23]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2016Nov/000
   5.html

     [23] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2016Nov/0005.html

   <trackbot> Notes added to action-2110 Move forward from rich's
   start re input events
   [24]http://lists.w3.org/archives/public/public-apa/2016nov/0005
   .html due +2 weeks.

     [24] http://lists.w3.org/archives/public/public-apa/2016nov/0005.html

Updating DOM--Any RFEs?
[25]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom/2017JanMar/0000.html

     [25] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom/2017JanMar/0000.html

   JS: There’re various DOM specs open for review

   Do we need to keep bringing this up

   SM: Have discussed this with Rich, please keep on the list

   JS: Will do!

   MC: That’s related to Shadow DOM, are there any other DOM specs
   we need to track?

   JS: All of them

   MC: What’re all the DOM specs?

   JS: Steve F. send something to the chairs list, can’t find it
   at the moment

   MC: I don’t see it either

   Wondering if we’re missing something in our Wiki

   JS: I’ll find it

   Not right now, but I’ll find it or drop the question

   *boom*

APA's Accessibility Checklist

   MC: Don’t feel it has had sufficient review

   John has accepted to reviewed it

   But nobody else has made any comments

   LW: Is it worth asking some people outside the a11y community
   to get an outside review of it

   MC: I’ve had some feedback, that it’s too wordy, needs
   editorial review

   Give a couple weeks for that

   And as a second round do what Léonie is suggesting

   Not sure where to go there

   But might be best to start with groups we work with

   Ask them “will this make it easier to work with us”

   Maybe the furthest we can go before the AC meeting

   After that we can take it to a wider audience for input

   JS: John, how much time do you think you need?

   JF: Want to get the spreadsheet finished first

   How about a week?

   JS: Okay that sounds good

   s/fine/good/

   JS: Calling a CFC will put us all on record

   Any other business

next and future meetings

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Leonie to move forward from Rich's start re Input
   Events
   [26]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2016Nov/0005
   .html due +2 weeks [recorded in
   [27]http://www.w3.org/2017/01/25-apa-minutes.html#action01]

     [26] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2016Nov/0005.html
     [27] http://www.w3.org/2017/01/25-apa-minutes.html#action01

Summary of Resolutions

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [28]scribe.perl version
    1.148 ([29]CVS log)
    $Date: 2017/01/25 18:00:26 $
     __________________________________________________________

     [28] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [29] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

   [Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.148  of Date: 2016/10/11 12:55:14
Check for newer version at [30]http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/
scribe/

     [30] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/inopperable/inoperable /
Succeeded: s/inoperable/inter-operable/
Succeeded: s/??/mitigation/
Succeeded: s/WebTT/...a debate between which technology better address s
ome user needs, TTML, or WebVTT?/
Succeeded: s/can do/is appropriate for/
Succeeded: s/That from time to time ?? other APIs/That from time to time
 work in areas that relate to media accessibility, but without realizing
 the tie-ins such as the need for APIs, nor the availability of the MAUR
 doc/
Succeeded: s/need the support/need the infrastructure support/
Succeeded: s/for lang/for users to choose lang/
Succeeded: s/sofort/so fort/
Succeeded: s/poiint/point/
Succeeded: s/so fort/so forth/
Succeeded: s/centrelised/centralised/
Succeeded: s/John has/John has accepted to/
Succeeded: s/nobody has/nobody else has/
Succeeded: s/fine/good/
FAILED: s/fine/good/
Found Scribe: MichielBijl
Inferring ScribeNick: MichielBijl
Present: MichielBijl Ralph Léonie Janina Gottfried Joanmarie_Diggs Micha
elC ShaneM Judy JF tdrake
Found Date: 25 Jan 2017
Guessing minutes URL: [31]http://www.w3.org/2017/01/25-apa-minutes.html
People with action items: leonie

     [31] http://www.w3.org/2017/01/25-apa-minutes.html

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.



   [End of [32]scribe.perl diagnostic output]

     [32] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
Received on Wednesday, 25 January 2017 18:03:44 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 25 January 2017 18:03:44 UTC